Saturday, October 14, 2006

Abundant Life

I had breakfast with Eric this morning at a place not too far from where I live. Poor guy. He's quite frustrated with the (lack of) dating scenarios in his life. For one reason or another things always seem to go sour when he tries to initiate something with women.

Well, I can relate to that. My story with women is not exactly a story of success (although since growing a beard women seem to be knocking at my door .. hahaha). If it wasn't for God's grace in giving me an enduring sense of humour I'd be quite cynical. Then again, I already am cynical. Maybe without God's grace I'd be even more cynical.

It amazes me how angry we get with God, if things don't go "our way". We blame him for our problems, thinking that he "owes" us something, whether it be a job, or a spouse, or a good standard of living, or whatever. After all, Jesus said he'd give us "abundant life." Aren't these examples of an abundant life? That's the way we think nowadays.

But I think that's backward

I have but one task in life, to worship and glorify God. The more I do that, the more I will be drawn into unity with Christ and fellowship with the Tirnity. And as that happens, things on this side of eternity will become not trivial - God does not trivialize human suffering - but a step of sanctification towards eternal glory.

Lord have mercy on us
Christ have mercy on us.
Lord have mercy on us.

No comments: