Friday, September 15, 2006

No More Bells And Whistles, Please!

I'm excited, because Friday lunches are back. Friday lunches are the best lunches at school: Holy Communion with the Anglican Studies group, and then lunch at a chinese restaurant nearby. Odd combination, I know, but does it get any better?

Unlike our weekly chapels on Tuesdays, where one never knows just what to expect (what's it gonna be today, traditional hymns, or contemporized(?) hymns, or contemporary music? .. how many more variations of musical arrangements must we endure [and to boot, they seem to get worse and worse!]? .. and when will we end the mixing and matching of lyrics with melodies? .. and, what kind of a service will we have today: a Pente-Presby-Baptist-Reform, or will it be Free-Anglo-Alliance-Menno? .. puhleeeeeeeease! .. and finally, can we just settle on a set liturgy and stick with it, rather than reinventing the wheel every week .. we have, after all, almost 2000, yes, 2000 years of church history and wisdom to guide us .. please, stop the madness or else, put me out of my misery), Friday services are simple, profound and straight to the point. No frills, no song-and-dance, just the bread, the cup, the liturgy of Holy Communion, and a 10 minute homily. Need we have anything else?

I can't believe I just said that. Nah .. sometimes the truth hurts. Ha! I think I'm becoming a liturgical snob, a "rigourist".

No comments: