Friday, September 29, 2006

Hamaca Paraguaya

Ted and Karin came over tonight, for an enjoyable evening of food and film.

We met shortly after 6pm in Burnaby, before going for dinner at Anton's, my favourite Italian Restaurant in Vancouver. I remember the days when I used to work at Glenayre, in the last 1990's .. we used to go to Anton's all the time for lunch, because the food is just that good!

Well, things haven't changed there. They still serve the best pasta in Vancouver. After dinner (which included a very very yummy tiramisu cake for dessert), we headed downtown for Hamaca Paraguaya, a Paraguayan movie shown here at the Film Festival.

The movie was good, but very slow, and very minimalist. In fact, the entire movie had less than 10 scenes, I'm sure. But, it did a great job portraying Paraguayan life: simple, but full of dignity. I'm glad I went to see it. The only disappointment was that it was in guarani. I shouldn't be surprised, really, because after all guarani is the native language of the people, but I was hoping to hear some spanish. I love the sound of spanish. It's like music to my ears....

But next week I'll have the opportunity to hear some nice Spanish when I see a movie from Argentina.

It was a good evening: good food, goof film, and good family. :)

No comments: