Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Not A Bad Summer Of Reading

On April 6th, I wrote down my summer reading list. Here's the list again, and how I did (or didn't):

* Memory and Identity (JPII) --> did not read
* Crossing the Threshold of Hope (JPII) --> did not read
* A Pilgrim Pope. Messages for the World. (JPII) --> did not read
* Ut Unum Sint - On Church Unity (JPII) --> did not read
* Witness to Hope. Biography of Pope John Paul II - George Weigel --> did not read
* The Idiot (Fyodor Dostoevsky) --> currently reading (I'm on page 376 .. 350 pages to go!)
* Demons (Fyodor Dostoevsky) --> did not read
* War & Peace (Leo Tolstoy) --> did not read
* Clowning in Rome (Henri Nouwen) --> finished it
* Contemplative Prayer (Thomas Merton) --> finished it
* Letters to Malcolm (C. S. Lewis) --> did not read
* Gods that Fail (Vinoth Ramashandra) --> did not read

So far, the picture doesn't look good. I may have spent a lot of time in my hammock this summer, but perhaps I slept in it, rather than reading! However, instead of reading some of the books above, I read the following:

* St. Francis of Assisi (G.K. Chesterton)
* Orthodoxy (G.K. Chesterton)
* The Cube and the Cathedral (George Weigel)
* The Sabbath (Abraham Joshual Heshel)
* Keeping The Sabbath Wholly (Marva J. Dawn)
* Miracles (C.S. Lewis)

Plus .. I read a good 200 pages (out of 400) of my Basics of Biblical Greek textbook.

Perhaps my reading list was a bit too ambitious. But, all in all .. not a bad summer of reading.

No comments: