Wednesday, March 09, 2005

History of Cub

Don't worry .. this is not my life history. But I thought I'd fill you in on why I'm calling myself 'cub'. It goes back to my university days @ TWU (www.twu.ca). Back then, I was given two nicknames by my soccer team: cougar & cub.

The first one I was given b/c @ the time I liked John Cougar Mellencamp. Remember "Cherry Bomb", "Born in a Small Town"? Ahhhhhh.....those were the 80's. Anyways, one of the guys on my soccer team started calling me cougar .. & it just kinda took off from there.

Now onto the second one. In the early 90's an indie band named "Cub" came onto the scene in Vancouver. I even managed to find a little info about them, even though as far as I know the band is now defunct: http://www.canoe.ca/IndieBands/band1051.html. Regardless, they played an "upbeat style of sweet pop music" (as per website above).

The problem was that most of my friends, except one loyal buddy, hated the band, b/c the music was too poppy, and the talent of the band was .. well .. questionable. Basically, their cd's were good, but live performances 'lacked a little', shall we say. (Their drummer was especially talent-challenged. Keeping a steady, constant rhythm was tricky for her, and this posed a problem b/c most of their songs had the same poppy beat. I think eventually she was fired and replaced by someone else who if I remember correctly wasn't much better).

My friends couldn't understand why I liked the band .. they were dumbfounded .. bewildered. And it was in that milleu that one of my buddies, "Goose", started calling me cub. Well .. & the rest is history. Cougar was replaced by Cub, which is fine w/ me, b/c I like cubs much better than cougars, and furthermore, if I had to choose b/w Cub & the Backstreet Boys, Debbie Gibson, or Frankie Goes to Hollywood, I'd choose CUB everytime.

Peace.
cub

5 comments:

scarxxx said...

hey cub.. you like soccer? so do you watch english game?

cub said...

yep .. love soccer. you? i prefer the spanish league.

scarxxx said...

Oh I see... I much more to EPL games.. I love soccer very much...nice to know ya~

cub said...

hi kah wee. what matters most is that we both like the greatest game on earth. :-) peace 2 u.

scarxxx said...

both of us like the greatest and most beautiful game on earth.. peace~