Friday, March 18, 2005

A Difficult Week

It's been a difficult week, for several reasons, but there's one overwhelming reason that is on my mind tonight.

Stanley J. Grenz, professor of theology at Carey Theological College, and frequent professor at Regent College, passed away on the morning of March 12, 2005 of a massive brain hemorrhage.

I never had a class with Stan, but I heard him speak a couple of times over the past few years. In fact, in November of last year I met him personally when he gave a lecture on "Rediscovering the Triune God: The Trinity in Contemporary Theology". Before the lecture began I introduced myself to him, and asked him a few questions about the topic for the evening. He was warm, friendly, and approachable.

After the lecture finished, I purchased one (of the 25!) books he's published: "Theology for the Community of God." As I left the bookstore, I noticed him standing in front of the book table. I approached him, got out a pen, and asked if he could sign the book. He smiled, took the book, and wrote: "May God continue to energize your life and witness. Stan Grenz."

Today he is in a better place. A place where there is no suffering. But today we mourn as the people of God. A great man of God is no longer with us. We pray for comfort for his wife, his children, and his colleagues.

Stanley J. Grenz (1950 - 2005).

Below are some links that indicate the impact Stan had on those who knew him:

Brian McLaren's Reflections
Regent College Student Tributes
Regent College Eulogy for Stan
Regent College Bookstore Blog

No comments: