Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Thursday

Easter's by far the most special time of the Christian calendar.  And the profundity of the Easter event began to work its way through my being again anew tonight.

This evening I went to a Maundy Thursday service at my church and it all went fine until Father Dean encouraged us to go to the front and let him wash our feet.  This is, after all, what Jesus did with his disciples on the night before he was arrested.

What was interesting to me, as I reflected upon his invitation, was how my attitude changed from one of comfort and tranquility - sitting in the pews, "anonymous" - to unease and restlenesness.

Me?
Go to the front and take off my shoes and socks?
In front of everyone?
Have him wash my feet - are you for real?

Father Dean reminded us that the stole he wears around his waist represents the towel that Jesus wore around his waist, a poignant reminder of his priestly duty to follow in Jesus' footsteps and serve his disciples.  "Allow me to fulfill my priestly duty", he gently said.  "I'd like to wash your feet."  There were about 50 of us in attendance.

So, up I went, took off my smelly footwear and gave myself over to him, allowing him and his pastoral staff to exercise their priestly duty.  They washed all our feet, using warm water and soap.  Then they took a towel - they had enough towels for all of us - and dried our feet, before lathering them in sweet-smelling foot oil.  Humbling, to say the least.

Then, once the task was complete, he said: "Go and do likewise."  Gulp.  Earth-shattering silence.

Finally, the Eucharist tied the entire liturgy together.  Christ, present to us in the form of bread and wine.  The bread of life.  The cup of salvation.

It's only Thursday.  Tomorrow morning, the stations of the cross.  Then in the afternoon the Good Friday service.  Saturday, the Great Vigil of Easter.  And finally, on Sunday, the Resurrection.  

From darkness to light.
From hunger and thirst to a satisfied spirit.
Thanks be to God.

No comments: