Sunday, July 14, 2013

Clouds (And Yes .. Hiking!)

Today's post was going to be about hiking, but the cloud formation I witnessed today was just incredible, I had to make them the central subject of the post.  The hike was overshadowed - pardon the pun - by the clouds!

I noticed the clouds before even getting onto the highway.  A blanket of clouds hovering low over the earth, coloured in alternating blue-grey and white, and with seemingly set channels or ridges on an east-west pattern.  It was mesmerizing, almost to the point of eery.


Along the highway I was captivated by the juxtaposition of colours: greens, yellows, blues, various shades of grey, and white.




Once I arrived at the Wascana trails, the sky opened up somewhat.  In the picture below, there's clear sky to the south (right side of the picture), and a blanket of thick clouds that resemble a big wave crashing on the beach on the north-east.


I didn't know what to expect in terms of hiking, but was pleasantly surprised not only by these trails, but also by the surrounding landscapes.  The trails, about 15 kms worth, criss-cross a valley that at this time of the year is lush with hundreds of shades of green.  A river traverses the bottom of the valley, with one bridge providing the crossing point between the two sides.



 The view, standing atop the valley.





Lunch, riverside.


For the next few weeks there are no hikes for me, but two weekends from now I'm going to Grasslands National Park.  That should be amazing.

No comments: