Monday, July 01, 2013

Fútbol and Family

After a dreadful end last night to what was otherwise a good day, I thought I wasn't going to get a good sleep, but as has so often been the case this past year, even after a horrible day, I am able to close my eyes at night and somehow, mysteriously, my troubles disappear for the duration of the sleep.

Miraculously, the following morning I wake up rejuvenated, refreshed, renewed, and revitalized.   That was the case again today.  It didn't last long - about 2 hours - but it's true, I did wake up reinvigorated this morning.

Marty woke up around the same time I did, close to 9am and promptly continued exercising his selfless hospitality towards me.  Coffee.  Bagels.  Roasted vegetables.  Fruit salad.  Juice.  So humbling...

We began watching the Uruguay-Italia game.  Halfway through the game Ruth woke up too - definitely not an early riser - and joined our soccer-centric conversation.  I was cheering for Uruguay.  They lost.

I then said goodbye to them both, but not before sharing with them a little bit of my relational journey this past year.  More empathy.  More compassion.

I then made my way to Abbotsford.  Heavy-hearted.  Burdened.

Upon arrival at home I began watching the Brasil-España game.  To my dismay, Brazil won.  Most of my family was cheering for Brazil.  I wasn't.  Some accused me of being biased because of my recent positive experience on the Camino in Spain.  Yes, true, and?  I wish they would also accuse me of liking Spain because of the beautiful fútbol they play!

In fairness though, Brazil played an amazing game.  My friend Tati from Aracaju - though she dislikes soccer - should be proud of her nation's performance: if Brazil play like this in the World Cup next year, they will be a hard team to beat.  It was a beautiful fútbol symphony...

From the game to the table.  Lunch time.  What would our family do without mom and dad's never-ending expressions of hospitality and love?  I don't know.  Things quite possibly would just fall apart.

Another feast.  Sopa paraguaya.  Bbq'd ribs and chicken.  Scalloped potatoes.  Wackelpeter.  The list is endless.  Thank you for family, Lord.



Tomorrow I am meeting Eric for brunch.  He's driving out to Abbotsford.  Then, at 5pm, I return to Regina.

No comments: