Saturday, January 19, 2013

Driving Around

It's done.  Yesterday I signed the job offer papers, then met my new management coworkers.  I'm moving here sometime towards the end of February.

Today I spent the day driving around in my rental car.  I drove to Regina and saw Wascana Park and St. Albert St.  It's hard to gauge a place in such cold (-20) weather.  Very few people are out on foot, obviously; everyone goes about their business by car.

I also drove to a local lake, about 30kms away.  The lake's situated in a valley (hardly a valley in BC, but here any dip is a valley it seems, and any rise is a hill), and it was interesting to see the difference in landscape and vegetation at the lake.  Lots of trees, for one, something this part of the country lacks.  I also saw a herd of deer.  I felt like a bit of an ignoramus when I saw them, because I wondered "Don't they get cold in this temperature?"  Apparently not...

Driving here is quite different.  The roads are straight and flat.  The scenery is likewise, flat.  In the past I'd have been tempted to call the flatlands boring, but I think something's twisted in that description.  I guess I'll be exploring that thought in the coming weeks and months.

This week has been full of ups and downs.  Tuesday was devastating.  Wednesday was positive.  Thursday was again, depressing.  I can't shake her from my being.  I'm just so in love with her.  Friday began horribly when I found out that the apartment I'd hoped to rent was rented out from under my nose.  But 2 hours later I found an apartment that is in almost every way better than the previous one - Providence - and didn't hesitate to go for it.  Below is a picture of the building. It stems from the colonial era.  Today was good, because I was out and about (in addition to driving around I also went to the Warriors hockey game in the evening).


I'm tired, and watching tennis on tv. Tomorrow I fly back to Vancouver.

No comments: