Wednesday, January 02, 2013

A New Year .. A New Beginning

Early this morning, at 12:52am, I accepted the job offer (before they get second thoughts and play with me even more!).

Three minutes after accepting the offer I emailed my best friend to tell her of my decision.  I wrote: "It's a bittersweet decision for me.  On the one hand, it's an excellent opportunity.  It's a management position, with great opportunity for service, growth and learning.  On the other hand, I'm sad because I'm leaving family, friends, and a beautiful city (Grouse Mtn.) behind.  Most of all, I'm sad because I will miss your beautiful face, your warm friendship, and your lovely company."

Bittersweet.  An understatement.

Then, shortly after 1am I emailed the rest of my great and wonderful friends: "Hi friends.  I've decided to move to ... Saskatchewan, to take on a Pastoral Care position there at a health care facility.  As others.... can surely verify, moving brings with it bittersweet emotions: there's the challenge of new growth and learning; but there's also the pain (grieving!) of leaving loved ones behind.  I will surely miss all of you.

I am set to begin the new job in mid-February, but I hope to spend a good deal of time with you before I leave (preferably over a glass of wine and board games)!  Of course, family and friends still being here means that I will make a point of visiting this city as often as possible.

Before I leave I also hope to have a going away dinner, and would love it if you can come.  I will email you when that time comes.

Grace, Joy, and Peace to you all as we begin this new year."

Indeed, Grace, Joy, and Peace to all, Lord Jesus, beginning with me!

I've heard it said that the real Camino begins after the Camino in Spain is finished.  I think this sentiment is in the process of becoming a reality as we speak.

Lord, have Mercy on me.

No comments: