Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rachmaninov With Charlene

Tonight was sort of a Russian themed night. Charlene and I went for dinner at a Russian Restaurant on Kingsway, and afterwards we went to the Orpheum for Rachmaninov's Vespers: a lovely evening.

I have listened to this sublime musical masterpiece many times before: indeed, it's my favourite musical piece (I have the cd with the performance of the St. Petersburg Chamber Choir, Olga Borodina, Vladimir Mostowoy, and Nikolai Korniev). It was special, therefore, to hear it live. In my view, the most amazing feature of this piece is in the beautiful way in which the soprano and bass combine. The sopranos take you to the heights of heaven, and the bass, well, they provide the perfect accompaniment for the journey! Perhaps Rachmaninov is the only one to be able to achieve such feats of glory.

And whereas a few weeks ago I had a hard time maintaining my distance from Charlene, tonight I didn't hesitate and put my arm around her quite often. Things went so well that by the end of the night she said "Are we still only friends?" Good question...

No comments: