Monday, January 25, 2010

Veal A La Parmegiana, Anger, And Shame

Today we celebrated mom's birthday at the Spaghetti Factory in Abbotsford. As usual to my visits to this restaurant, I had Veal a la Parmegiana. I never tire of it.

Afterwards, I went to mom and dad's for the afternoon and early evening. We had a good conversation, although I can no longer hide the fact that I bear some anger and resentment towards mom. I don't yet fully understand why this is the case.

I also feel increasingly ashamed around my parents. I just don't match up to their expectations: single at 40, vocation-less, owning nothing of significance (ie - apartment, house, property, business), and generally speaking, having accomplished very little in life. Yet, somehow, God is in this, I just don't know how. God has placed me where I am, which means, in some way, this must be what's best for me. My place in this picture is to be faithful, wherever I'm at.

When I told my parents that I feel ashamed around them, my father's response - God bless him! - was the only right response: "Ed, shame is of the devil. You have no reason to be ashamed around us."

I am so very thankful for my earthly parents.

No comments: