Sunday, September 06, 2009

Seb's, Abruzzo, Marcello's .. And An Angel

Jennifer and I went for breakfast this morning at Seb's Market on West Broadway (almost Fraser). It's one of my favourite places, because it's one of the few restaurants that serves decent coffee. My experiences with the food there have been good, overall, but I don't think she was very impressed with her food this morning. To her it was good, but it didn't stand out. After breakfast I walked her back to her apartment, a good 45 minute walk.

Then I made my way to Abruzzo, on Commercial, for a full day of qualifying games for the World Cup of 2010 in South Africa. I saw the following games: Uruguay 3 - Colombia 1, Paraguay 1 - Bolivia 0, Argentina 1 - Brasil 3, Chile 2 - Venezuela 2, and Costa Rica 0 - Mexico 3. Paraguay played horrible, but they won. It's been over a year - June of last year, when they beat Brasil lin Asuncion - since they've palyed a great game from beginning to end. Next week Wednesday they play against Argentina, in Asuncion. They need a win to qualify. A tie will get them a tiny step closer towards qualification, but wont guarantee it.

After the games, Ruth, Marty and I walked over to Marcello's for a good dinner. I've never been disappointed with the food there. I shared Ruth and Marty about my breakup with Jennifer and got teary-eyed. They were both very good to me.

An interesting conversation "happened" on the way to Abruzzo in the afternoon. I ran into a man, Jonathan, who was looking for some bus directions. I gave him the help he needed, but afterwards, rather than continuing on our way, we began to talk. Turns out he got off at he wrong bus stop before we met (he'd been on another bus), and in frustration, he asked God if there was a purpose for him getting off at the wrong stop. The Holy Spirit told him to seek out a discouraged Christian. Two blocks-walk, and 5 minutes later, he met me.

By the end of the conversation, about 40 minutes later, he prayed for me on the sidewalk of the Commercial Drive skytrain station. He gave me advice, fatherly advice, wise spiritual advice, about vocation, about life direction, and about relationships. More than that, he just encouraged me. He was an angel, truly, in the flesh. We exchanged emails. I may need lots of angel-presence over the next little while.

No comments: