Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Passion And A Paradox

Tonight I went to a fundraising dinner at a church (not my own) that I volunteer at once a month. The fundraiser was for a feed-the-homeless service this church operates every Thursday night.

I enjoyed the evening (Paul came also). Had a good meal, a few good speeches/testimonies, a silent auction, and an offering. The best part of the evening was a conversation that I had with Andrew, the man in charge of the program.

I'm realizing that I have a passion for the poor. There's a paradox in this passion though. The more I come in contact with issues of poverty (said differently, the more I encounter the helplessness of the poor), the more I'm convinced that there's very little I can do about it, yet at the same time the more convinced I become that I should do something about it.

I think it was Mother Teresa who said something along the lines of "Prayer drives us to the world, and the world drives us back to prayer." Simple yet profound. I like it.

No comments: