Saturday, March 17, 2007

Family Business Meeting: Take 1

So a few days ago my brother Ted sent me an email suggesting that we - that is, he, our brother in law, and me - open a family business. His idea is to open a house-building company: buy property, build a house, and sell it, buy another property, build a house, sell it, etc...

Tonight was our first "business meeting."

I went there in good spirits, thinking that in principle, he had a good idea. But our meeting didn't go so well, at least according to my thoughts. Now I feel quite sour about it.

The core issues are the following questions:
* why open a business? Ted has a job; Heinz has a job (he just got one earlier this week); and I, well, what the heck do I know about building and selling homes! Then again, I've been thinking about setting up some kind of an "urban Chrsitian community" in the city. Maybe our company could build and donate the house. Ha!

* continuity? Ted and family are only planning to stay in Canada for another 1.5 years at which time they will return to South America. In light of Ted's absence, who would run the business?

* given the above two issues, is it ethical to use dad's "goodwill" (money) as a guarantee? Aren't we taking a rather big risk with his money? Is this pride setting in?

* and finally (we didn't even tackle this issue at the meeting .. but it will be an issue before too long .. I know it!), what about familial conflicts regarding money? Based on past experiences, I know the greed that sets in with regards to money. It's not a pretty sight...

No comments: