Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Las Margaritas

Steak fajitas: mmmmmmmm!

I went for dinner tonight at Las Margaritas with my church Bible Study group. I had a great time I must say. I've been leading this group since February, and I've found that leading a small group is not easy. The reason is, quite simply, because people are broken vessels, and it's hard to mend broken vessels.

In Canadian culture it's hard to get to know people .. they'd rather just talk about fluffy, shallow stuff, because genuine relationships require effort. On the one hand, they require making oneself vulnerable (What? I have to share that with them?) On the other hand, genuine relationships involve entering into other people's vulnerability (What? You're struggling with that?)

At the end of the summer I was really quite discouraged about our group. Attendance was pathetic, morale was low, and people seemed generally disinterested, indifferent.

In the past 5 weeks, however, a few new people have joined our group, all of whom are committed to not only "physical presence", but "total presence". They don't mind sharing their weaknesses with others, and from what I can gather, they're willing to "bear" other's burdens too.

All this to say that we had a great evening tonight, eating Mexian food to our heart's content. I look forward to sharing more of life with them. Next Tuesday we're getting together to study Isaiah 5: "A Song of Injustice".

PS - the sangria was really good too...

No comments: