Sunday, March 05, 2006

My Weekend

Friday evening:
* went to Claudia's for a party. It was a last-minute thing, and even though very few people came, I still had a good time. Damian, a first year student whom I'm getting to know a little, came along. He is engaged to a Brazilian-Japanese girl. Funny, 3rd culture kids are becoming more and more common. Maybe that'll help make me feel less like a fish out of water..!

* surprise news of the night was Terri's engagement. The thing is, I didn't even know she had a boyfriend, and I know her fairly well (or so I thought!!!). I can't believe she kept that she had a boyfriend a secret from her own friends. Seems strangely bizzarre to me. But then again, her story is a bit unusual. Whatever....

* also, Suzannah who just recently came back from her 8 month missions term in El Salvador, was at Claudia's. She came back, and is marrying my good Bolivian buddy David in a few weeks time. It was great seeing her again.

Saturday:
* uneventful day, except for two things. I made decent progress on a book that I'm reading on the church and tradition. Maybe I'll write about this topic one of these days.

* in the evening I went out for a late movie with a couple of buddies. Had a good time, and I enjoyed the movie. But it did remind me why I don't watch movies anymore: I always walk out disturbed and astonished at how desensitized I've become to issues such as profanity, sexuality, and killing. They seem so normal to me. There's no difference between them and eating a slice of toast. That makes me uncomfortable. On the other hand, the movie did have some redeeming qualities, and it was good to see it, as it gives me a pulse of what's happening in our surrounding culture, but still, it disturbs me spiritually. Spending time with friends was good though, after spending the rest of the day cooped up inside my apartment.

Sunday:
* I went to the early morning church service, 7:30am. I love that service. Have been attending it semi-regularly for the past 4 months, and plan to continue doing so.

* for the rest of the day I studied Scripture, Philippians 1:1-11. I'm preaching a 5 minute homily/sermonette on it this Thursday, to the other church interns. I'm quite intimidated, preaching to a bunch of guys who have preached many times before. But they are very gracious, and I think they will be very supportive. On a related note, I'm astonished how immersing myself in Scripture affects me. It lifts me up. It feeds me in "spiritual mysteries" the way few other things do. Praise be!

No comments: