Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bob George And Fishing

Today's my father's 65th birthday, so it's very appropriate to write something about him.

My father's a great man, and I'm very proud of him. There are many reasons to be proud of him, but the most important reason is that he's a man of God.

I'm very thankful that I was raised in a Christian family. Of course, I haven't always enjoyed being a part of this family, but that's normal, isn't it? When I look at society nowadays, and the (lack of) family values that children are raised with, I can't help but fall on my knees and thank God for the kind of family we've had. The fact that I was raised in a loving, caring, God-fearing/honouring environment is largely due to my father.

I admire his strength of character and his determination. I also respect his convictions. True, some of his convictions are not the same as mine (Bob George or some other radio/televangelist may have something to do with this), but I deeply respect him nonetheless. In fact, my dad's convictions have been very challenging to my own faith. Whenever I hold a different point of view than his, he challenges me to defend it, and if I don't defend it well, he won't let me get away with it. On the other hand, he always defends his points of views very well.

Over the past few years he's developed an interest in fishing, and this has been very good. I've always believed that it's good for people to develop "hobbies", and it seems to me that dad has done just that. He's invited me to come along a few times, but I've always shied away. This summer that won't be the case. I look forward to go fishing with him.

Here's a picture of dad enjoying his new hobby. I believe this picture was taken in the summer of 2005:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, that's an awesome blog! have fun fishin'!!

cub said...

thx bro. i'm going to need some tips on fishing, lest my father puts me to ... uhm, shame.