Thursday, March 09, 2006

My First Sermon(ette)

I just came back from preaching my first sermon: well, it was a mini-sermon.

No, I didn't preach to our church congregation, but preaching to our church interns and pastor was nerveracking enough...!

I preached on Philippians 1:1-11. I was not nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. This is likely due to prayer and preparation. I'm thankful for friends who prayed for me as I prepared for this task. It also seems true that the more work and preparation we put into a task, the more we learn, and the more comfortable we get "doing" that task.

After my sermon I was critiqued in terms of primarily theological content/message, but also style. My fellow-interns are so gracious. They are so good to me. Our pastor's comment about my sermon was that it was "very serious and got us right to the core of the gospel without wasting any time, and that's good". That sorta made me laugh.

Thank you Jesus. May your Name be lifted, to the glory of the Father.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy am I not surprise that your sermon's been commented SERIOUS. ;) Congrates on your first sermon. Preaching to your peers IS INDEED nerve wrecking!!!

cub said...

thanks Faith, i appreciate your encouragement. now, if i could only start PRACTISING what i PREACH!!! ;)