Saturday, June 18, 2005

A Wasted Day

Today was one of those days that sneaks up on you every now and then - the kind of day where all kinds of unexpected things come up. Sometimes these unexpected things are good, sometimes bad. Today they were good.

I'd taken the day off work to work on my research paper (due next week Friday), but these plans went down the drain very quickly.

For starters, I got up really late, around 10am, because I was really tired from being out late last night (AEK & I went to see a concert - Rilo Kylie). I set up a mate, and began doing research.

Shortly into my research, my friend SC called. I was so excited to hear from her. She just got back from a 5 week trip to Europe .. it's always such a delight to hear from her. She's such a positive person, it draws me in like a magnet. Talking to her always lifts my spirit .. she always brings a smile to my face.

Not a minute after getting off the phone with her, my friend SL called, and asked if I wanted to go to Al-Watan for a Pakistani lunch. How could I say no? After all, this little hole-in-the-wall on Fraser and 43rd serves the best Pak-food in the city!! Our good buddy JW also came along, and we had a blast together. The three of us go there about once a month, and we always have such a riot together.

Anyways, by the time I got home from lunch it was 3pm. I studied feverishly for 3 hours, before I got ready to go out for the evening.

Again, I didn't even plan to go out at all, but SL invited us out for dinner, and since I spend so little time with him and his wife P, and since they just bought a new place in Burnaby, I decided to accept their offer to go there for dinner and see their new place.

Dinner was excellent - steak bbq, roasted potatoes and vegetables. R and CG, and JW where also there, and we had an excellent time reminiscing about the good ol' times at TWU. We finished the evening with a cup of coffee. I remember when S and I were roommates, he'd always make great coffees. Tonight was no exception.

Upon my return home AEK called, and we spoke on the phone for a few minutes.

Now it's time to go to bed.

In one sense, today was a wasted day. I certainly feel wasted - tired. But if I had to live today over again, I wouldn't change a single thing. Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for all our plans to go wrong. I may not have 'achieved' much today in terms of getting schoolwork done, but I did something much more important: spend time with valued friends.

No comments: