Monday, December 23, 2013

Relief

Finally Christmas is upon us.  I say finally, because the last 2 months have been excruciating in terms of work.  I've never worked so hard, under such horrible conditions, and with so little appreciation coming back my way.  But it's almost done.  Tomorrow is Christmas Eve: I will work until around 3, head to Regina for dinner, and then off to the west coast for Christmas.

Gingersnaps arrived in Regina a few days ago, and since then we've been spending a good deal of time together.  On Saturday morning I cancelled my spiritual direction session and visited with her instead.  I actually met her family that day too and spent much of the day and evening with them.  Come to think of it, I spent much of the weekend with them.  Nice...

Back to Saturday, we all ate lunch together; in the afternoon gingersnaps and I went for a walk around town, returning late afternoon for a quick nap and then a big dinner with family and family friends.  The evening gathering was jovial.

On Sunday we all went to church together, and then, yep, lunch.  I think I gained about a kilo between Saturday and Sunday noon....  In the afternoon we went for a walk around Wascana Lake.  It was bitter cold, but we had a good conversation nonetheless.  I returned home early evening.

It was good to meet and spend time with her family, but I will admit to feeling slightly awkward.  We're in the in-between stage.  No-man's land. Can't stay there for long.

But her family was warm and hospitable.  No complaints.

Today was a workday, but gingersnaps drove in from Regina for lunch.  I introduced her to Alison, and together the 3 of us ate sushi for lunch.  In the evening the two of us went to the spa, and then afterwards we had dinner at a new restaurant in town.

No comments: