Saturday, March 23, 2013

Made It .. Just Barely!

This morning at 7 I woke up to another 20 cms of new snow on the ground.  It wasn't looking good.  There's a local company that shuttles passengers to the Regina airport, I thought maybe they would have a way of getting there despite the road closures, but no luck.

8am came, nothing.  More snow.  High winds.  Road closures everywhere.

9am, it stopped snowing.  Still, roads were closed.  I'm frantically studying maps, weather forecasts, news reports.

10am, still no news.  My flight is at 2pm.

10:20, and highway 1 opens, according to a local website.

I bundle up, grab all my stuff and race out the door.  Snow everywhere.  It took me about 15 minutes to "unearth" my car, but I eventually make it on the road.

Below are some of the scenes I encountered on my one-and-a-quarter-hour trip into the city.  At first, a jam-packed caravan along the highway.  Then, the separation of the sheep (slow drivers) and the goats (crazy drivers).  I rarely side with the slowpokes.  This time I did.

There was a fierce wind throughout the drive.  Visibility was not good at all.

Stranded cars and semis all along the highway.








Alas, here I am, in balmy Abbotsford.  The weather was a warm +9.  Cloudy, with the sun breaking in. 

Ralph and dad picked me up from the airport.  Great to see them both.

Tonight I just hung out with mom and dad.

Tomorrow I want to hike the Grouse Grind early in the morning, then get a haircut, before returning to Abbotsford for the anniversary.  I'm going to be speaking at it, on Psalm 145: Great is the Lord!

No comments: