Sunday, June 13, 2010

Stellenbosch: Wine Tour

Stellenbosch is a city known for its wines. That's actually why I decided to stay here: I knew that after the chaos of Rome and Cairo I'd need a place of quiet rest.

The past few days I've more or less either visited the centre of town, or spent time (resting) at the guesthouse, since I can't rely on my body at the moment (see this entry for details).

Today I ventured out, however, and took a wine tour. It was a 5 hour "hop on, hop off" tour, and even though there are 6 wineries on the "menu", I only made it to 3, and that was just fine with me. All in all, I tried 13 wines in 5 hours!

The first winery to visit was Vredenheim Wines. In my opinion, their rose was their best wine. I bought a bottle, and intend to give it to my host as a thank you for her great hospitality:

































The second winery was "Spiers." Their wines were good, but nothing that stood out. They did, however, have a lovely garden (not pictured).

































The last winery of the day was "Kleine Zalze" (Little Salty). They had a great (2007) Chenin Blanc. I bought a bottle, this one I intend to keep!













No comments: