Saturday, June 19, 2010

Graaff-Reinet: Valley of Desolation

One of the frustrating things about South Africa so far has been the lack of access to public transport. Graaff-Reinet is a tourist hotbed, yet, it´s difficult to get there, unless one has a car: to get here, I had to take a bus that arrives here at 2am, and had the kind woman from the guesthouse not offered to pick me up then, I´d probably have cancelled my trip here.

My point to this opening thought is that my intention was to see the Valley of Desolation on my own - a day´s hike - but that was impossible. The only way to access the national park is by vehicle, and there are neither car rental places nor taxis in town, and so therefore, the only way for me to see the great sights this lovely town has to offer was to hire a tour guide, and that, is precisely what I did.

A very kind woman from the Drotsdy Hotel connected me with Anna, a very good tour guide who in the span of 3 hours drove all around the mountain and valley with me. Here are a few of the glorious sights that I saw. This really is a beautiful beautiful country.

Graaff-Reinet from the air:













 
Snow-capped mountains in the background:













 
Spandau Kop:













 
From top of the mountain (1,500km above sea level), the Valley of Desolation:




















































 
Tomorrow is my last day here, before I move on to Bloemfontein (I´m taking a night bus again). On my last day here I plan to do a hike - without a guide, this time - called Erstenfontein.

No comments: