Monday, May 31, 2010

Calbe -> Frankfurt: Last Day In Germany

We had a late night last night: after dinner we watched an Europe-wide singing contest (the German contestant, Lena, won), and then we watched a boxing match. All of us went to sleep after midnight.

This morning was supposed to be an early morning, so that we could get on the road early and avoid stau, traffic-jam, on the highways of Germany. Well, we got up at 9, ate one last scrumptious breakfast, and finally said our good-byes around 11am. Rudy, Olga, Kevin and I then dropped in at uncle David's place too, and said our good byes there.

We left Calbe at exactly 12:21pm, and as on the first leg of the trip, we stopped every hour or so for a break. But whereas on the way to Calbe we went up north (towards Hannover) and then east (towards Berlin), we came back going south (towards Muenchen) and then east (Goettingen). We arrived in Frankfurt around 5:30pm.

Below, taking a break along the way:














I was once again humbled by the hospitality shown to me when immediately upon arrival, Olga got to cooking dinner in the kitchen. By 7:30 we'd all eaten (Artur joined us, this time), by 9pm I'd packed and prepared my stuff for tomorrow's departure, and at 10pm Rudy, Olga and I sat down for one last evening of tea and cake (she baked a rhubarb pie!) together.

What a blessing this trip has been so far. Tomorrow I'm off to Roma, where I will meet up with Jennifer for 4 days.

No comments: