Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dinner At La Bodega With Mom And Dad

Tonight was the first time in a while that I saw my parents. Mom and dad came over to my place around 5:30pm, and shortly afterward we went to La Bodega together for dinner.

I actually ordered for us all, and I ordered the same dishes I did last time when I went with Jen. I was a bit torn about ordering: mom and dad are not the easiest guests to please at a restaurant - there's always something that "would've been much much tastier and healthier at home", and on top of that, my current dietary restrictions because of Lent meant that I should've limited myself, but I didn't, at least not as far as meat is concerned. An exception, a compromise, seemed appropriate given the context, so that's what I made.

Tonight was also the night of the men's hockey semi-finals. During dinner the waitress twice approached our table to give us score updates (we were virtually the only ones at the restaurant, everyone was watching the game!). We played the Slovaks, and during dinner, the score was first 1-0 for the good guys, then 2-0, then 3-0.

After dinner we walked towards Robson Square, and along the way, we found out that the score was 3-1. By the time we got there, the score was 3-2. It was chilly and rainy, but that didn't deter thousands of people from filling the square, even the sidewalks and streets were full. We watched the last 3 minutes of the game on a giant screen, and man, these were intense minutes. We hung on to the score, the game, our lives (!), and Luongo made a fantastic save with less than 20 seconds left that could've changed the whole outcome of the game.

But prevail we did, 3-2, and now our boys are off to the final, and as predicted by many, it'll be against the mighty Americans, who've played very fine hockey throughout the tournament. That'll be a superb game, this Sunday.

Over the past 3 days Canada's Olympic team has also come alive somewhat, earning 10 medals, bringing our total to a respectable 21 (10 golds, 7 silver, and 4 bronze). In terms of the gold medal count, we're actually leading the Germans (9) and the Americans (8), but in the overall medal count we're lagging behind both the Americans (34) and the Germans (27).

No comments: