Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pick Me Up (Tiramisu)

Growing up, my favourite dessert was the German Blitztorte. German cheesecake came a very very close second.

Now, my favourite dessert is Tiramisu, Italian for "Pick me up", as in, 'I've just come home from a long day at work and I need a "pick me up"'.

Here's the recipe for the Tiramisu. Jen and made one tonight, our third one in the past 3 months. I guess we both really like it!

* 500g container of mascarpone cheese
* 2 cups cooled espresso or strong coffee
* 6 eggs
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 1 pkg savoiardi lady fingers
* 1-2 oz liqueur (brandy, Tia Maria, Kahlua, Grand Marnier)

* Separate eggs (should be at room temp for best volume)
* Beat yolks, gradually adding sugar until creamy
* Mix in cheese and about 1 oz liqueur (by hand, not electric or it will separate)
* Beat egg whites until firm and fluffy, then fold into cheese mixture

* Dip lady fingers into mix of espresso and about another 1 oz of liqueur. You have to judge how soggy they are getting. You want them to be damp but not soggy.

* Line bottom of pan with lady fingers.
* Add half of cheese filling.
* Another layer of lady fingers.
* Another layer of cheese mixture.
* Sift dutch cocoa over top, or sprinkle with semi-sweet grated chocolate.
* Best if made day before. Keep in refrigerator. Let warm a little before serving.

No comments: