Sunday, February 01, 2009

Commercial Drive, Abruzzo, Al Watan

A busy day it was! I wasn't in a mood to play futbol, so I watched it on tv instead.

At around 1pm I went to Abruzzo Cafe, the only decent place to watch futbol in the entire city. The reason I say it's the only place, is because the atmosphere there is just fantastic. Futbol fans from all over the Lower Mainland congregate there in order to watch games. Every single day, games from all over the world are shown at Abruzzo via satellite (this is one of the few times I say thank God for technology!). After church and Jen's place, it's my favourite place to be.

Anyways, so I watched a soccer game from the U-20 South American Championships: Paraguay 1 - Argentina 1. It was a great game, and Paraguay played very well. the albirrojitas have a similar playing style to the seleccion mayor.

After the game I went to pick up Jen, and then we drove back to Commercial Drive and walked around, taking pictures. It was a great day to walk around, as the weather was crisp and chilly, but clear: not a cloud in the sky.






















































At around 5:30, we returned to Abruzzo (surprise surprise!), to watch another game from the U-20 tournament. Jen also ordered a sandwich, while I ordered a latte. Jen's keen to learn about the game, since in 4 weeks' time we're going to Mexico, and while there, we plan to attend two games: Pumas - Tigres (Estadio Universitario), America - San Luis (Azteca).

For dinner we went to my favourite place: Al Watan. We had Chicken Tika Karahi (boneless chicken cooked in a thick sauce with ginger, garlic, tomato and freshly ground spices) and Haleem (ground lentils and shredded beef prepared in special curry). Of course, we got staple side-dishes to go with our main meal: rice, and Naan (soft, fluffy leavened white flour bread). The clincher though was the Al Watan tea. After coffee, this tea's the best hot drink on earth.




























Incidentally, tonight's dinner was my last dinner before the fasting season of Lent begins. This year my fasting regiment's a little more rigorous than usual. Nothing like a bit of askesis to toughen up the soul.....

No comments: