Monday, January 12, 2009

Installation

Installation: maybe it's just me, but when I hear this word, I don't think of someone being affirmed to work as a minister of God in the church. Rather, I think of metal storage racks being set up in a garage....

Anyways, today was a special day, as my good friend James was installed as Senior Pastor of Sherbrooke Mennonite Church. I went to the installation service.

I was blessed by the service. I was struck by the humility and simplicity of the Mennonite approach to worshiping the Triune God. There was a time of sharing in the service, where people were invited to share prayer requests: items of praise, concern, supplication, and thanksgiving. And to my surprise, many people got up and shared. It's a very "down-to-earth" approach.

I was also struck by what seemed like genuine community in the congregation. Community is difficult to find in the Church, let alone a church in Vancouver, a city that embodies the antithesis of community. After the service, everyone was invited to stay for lunch. I'm learning to appreciate in a significant way how important it is to share meals with others, and not just with those that I like, but especially those whom I have trouble accepting, never mind liking. These are the people Christ has joined to himself, and as such, are my brothers and sisters.

Finally, I was struck by the inclusivity of the service. Some aspects of the liturgy - the Scripture reading, the hymns - were expressed in 4 languages: English, German, Korean, and Vietnamese. There was a presence, in varying proportions, from each of those 4 cultures in the service.

James didn't preach, unfortunately. I've heard him preach and he's very good , he will be an excellent Pastor, by God's grace. He was interviewed and prayed for, however. In fact, so much attention - and praise! - was given to him that at times I was troubled, wondering whether I was in a church or in a tribute event to James.

It's important that his congregation, his family, and his friends, pray for him, and often. Only through prayer - and acknowledgment that it is He who works in us, that accomplishes things - do we have any hope of achieving anything lasting at all.

No comments: