Sunday, June 01, 2008

Solar Panels

I got a job today. Starting tomorrow morning I will be working in the quality control department at a company that makes solar panels.

It's a factory job. Physical labour: inspecting flawed panels, determining the cause of defect. Not my dream job, for sure, but a necessary measure nonetheless. It's a 6 week job that will prevent my work-ethic from rotting while vocationally-undecided. There's only so much internet surfing I can handle.....

I have a very negative impression of factory jobs, because very often the dignity of people is taken away in these contexts for the sake of efficiency and profits, but anyways, that's not the topic I'm on about tonight. And even though I wont be working in an assembly line per se, it will be an industrial context, a world I'm very unfamiliar with. My point is that working in a factory context will be good for me, as it will either confirm my preconceived notions, or challenge them. My guess is the latter, because as is so often the case, our preconceived notions and ideas are simplistic.

In the meantime, I've emailed the bishop of Jerusalem to see if there's any work in the Anglican Church in North Africa or the Middle East. Let's see what he says....

No comments: