Friday, December 29, 2006

A Meal And A Birthday

Two note-worthy events tonight:

1- I volunteered at Out of the Cold, a weekly meal a baptist church in the east end of the city provides for the homeless. As I helped prepare the meal and saw the guests come inside the dining hall, my heart broke. Some of the men and women coming in were likely in their mid-30's, yet they looked like they were in their 50's. The "elements" - the rain, snow, and wind - has a way of aging us, unless 'protected'. I am so lucky to live in a warm apartment, never having to worry where my next meal comes from. Lord, what did I do to deserve growing up in a wealthy family?

On an aside .. I wonder if God is calling me to serve the disadvantaged .. am I able to give up the "riches" I have and embrace a simple life for the sake of the kingdom? Is this in part what Jesus talks about in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:3-11)?

2- Later on, around 8:30pm, I went to visit Connie. It was her birthday today, and she had a small gathering. It was small and intimate, a good thing, becuase her bachelor suite is tiny, but it was good to get together with some friends (Claudia, Terri, Brett) and meet some new ones. Below is a picture we took towards the end of the night:
















From left to right: Terri, Juan, Benjamin, Sanjit, Connie, Lucia, Claudia, & Cub

No comments: