Monday, February 20, 2017

Comida Corrida, Customer Service, And Settlers

After a few days of frantic walking, biking, and bussing from one end of the city to the other, today was a day to just relax.

In the morning I walked to a mall and did a bit of shopping.  I bought a hat (see pic below!), a black shirt, and a white polo.

Afterwards I had lunch at a comida corrida place near Ruth and Marty's, followed by an espresso.  That's when I realized that I didn't have enough money with me to pay for lunch.  I told the waitress, and said I'd run home, get the money, and come right back.  She smiled and replied: "That's ok, our waiter will walk home with you and you can pay him there."  I was floored.  Was she doing this because she didn't trust me I'd come back to pay, or was this customer service at its best?

I think it was the latter...

The waiter did walk home with me.  We had a nice conversation along the way, about life, work, education, and of course fútbol.  Once at my place, I paid him, and gave him a nice tip.  He was ever-so grateful and went back in the direction we came from.


Mid-afternoon I went to Ruth and Marty's and we immediately parked ourselves on the outdoor patio on the 14th floor of their condo complex, ordered some piña coladas, and played Settlers.  I brought a travel-size game along, and it proved to be a big hit.  Small.  Complete.  Practical.

There was a cool, gentle breeze on the patio all afternoon.

Tomorrow: Xochimilco!

No comments: