Thursday, February 02, 2017

Braving The Cold

When I moved to the prairies from the west coast I continued my practise of going outdoors  in the winter regardless of the weather.  To do otherwise is to spend a lot of time - too much time - indoors.  The outdoors are cold, indeed, but they offer their own reward even in extreme weather.

My second winter here I went to a ski store in Regina and bought myself some good waxless skis.  They were adequate enough, but at the beginning of this winter I sold my skis and went back to the same store and got myself some waxable skis.  The aim was to be faster on the tracks.

Since returning from the Christmas break I have gone skiing 3 times, and it turns out that buying the skis was a good call.  Waxing the ends of the skis is a bit tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I still have a few more ski outings planned before I head south for my annual pilgrimage to Mexico later this month.

So far I have only skied at Wildwood this winter, but I have a trip to Eb's Trails planned, and I also want to check out Holiday Park.

Below is a picture of a few weeks ago when I went skiing with some ski-friends.


The one thing I have yet to figure out though is how to dress properly on an outing.  The wind here is relentless and unforgiving.  I almost always get super cold.  And this takes away from the fun of skiing.  And it doesn't help them cough that's been with me since Christmas. 

No comments: