Sunday, August 10, 2014

Grasslands II

Last year around this time I went camping at Grasslands with some of my hiking friends from Regina, and it turned out to be one of the best trips of the summer for me.  Here's a walk down memory lane.

After such a good experience last year, I decided to go there again this year,  but this time with Eric.  Pavel from Regina joined us also, for the second day of hiking.

On the first day of hiking we hiked to Zahursky's Point, much like last year.  Actually, we added about 3kms to this year's loop, so it took us longer to do the hike.  And the mosquitoes were out in full force, my goodness....

On day two we did another loop, and much like last year, found ourselves "lost", miscalculating directions and distances.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not a very good camper.  I like tenting: setting it up and sleeping in it; but I don't like the food portion of the experience.  Too much work goes into drying my own food (that's why I've never done it), and the packaged food that I've had is less than tasty.  I'm also not particularly good at starting campfires.  I love the hiking, I love the scenery, I love the company, but at the end of the day I wish all hikes led to small towns with albergues, like the Camino did in Spain.

In the end, we hiked around 30kms in 2 days, leaving us physically tired (but not exhausted), slightly burned by the sun, and with plenty of red welts from mosquito bites.

Eric drove his old Beamer, so the route he picked was via Moose Jaw on the way there, and via Swift Current on the way back.  A nice loop, about 800kms in total.





No comments: