Monday, August 18, 2014

Banff

I just came back from a weekend camping and hiking trip to Banff with my great friends Marty and Ruth.  I left early Friday morning, and returned late this afternoon.  I stopped in Calgary both, on the way there and on the way back, to eat some lunch, as well as taking a peak into MEC.


The above picture was taken by Marty.

We had a nice campsite, slightly outside of town and away from all the action and noise.  I didn't sleep so well though, even though I have a decent sleeping pad.  Next year I'll have to get a better one!

We brought along much of our own food.  I brought meat from BCW, and they brought rice, pasta, and veggies.  


Now as far as hiking is concerned, my goodness, I'm not sure there's a more picturesque place than Banff.  The scenery is simply stunning.

We hiked on Saturday and on Sunday, but ironically, we didn't stay in Banff to hike.  We drove to Lake Louise on both days (!) (all pictures depict the Lake Louise area, not Banff).  On Saturday, we began around noon, hiking up to Lake Agnes Teahouse, and then continuing on to Devils Thumb, eventually connecting with the return stretch of Plain of Six Glaciers, taking us back to the beginning point at the Fairmont Chateau.  In all, we did about 14kms.  Along the way, we stopped numerous times if not for snacks, certainly for picture-taking.

On Sunday we did the Moraine Lake trail, a short trail of 3kms leading us to more amazing vistas.  The second picture above is of Moraine Lake.  Marty took that picture lakeside, while enjoying a sandwich lunch!  I, on the other hand, picked a large rock overlooking the lake (picture below) for my lunch spot.


As always, we had amazing conversations.  Ruth and Marty view the world very differently than I do, and yet, we have very meaningful conversations.  We agree to disagree on fundamentals, but what I appreciate about both of them is that they're engaging conversation partners, open to hearing another's point of view, and they are interested in finding meaning and significance in the lives that we live.  They have an admirable commitment to simplicity of lifestyle, and a joyful, amicable spirit.  And their love for each other is truly exemplary.  I'm blessed for having them as friends in my life.  They are an example to follow.  Below, we're eating lunch at Lake Agnes.


We've decided to do this again, if not later this Fall, than certainly next summer.  Maybe next time we'll camp near our hiking trails!


No comments: