Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Different World Cup

The FIFA World Cup started today in Brasil.

This is the first time in 20 years that I haven't attended it.

USA 1994 - check.
France 1998 - check.
Korea/Japan 2002 - check (I went to Japan).
Deutschland 2006 - check.
South Africa 2010 - check.

And now, Brasil 2014 - ?

I didn't go because I just don't care (did I really say that?).

Maybe I do care, but my life is in a stage right now where I feel I need to forego this tournament: new province (this may be stretching it, but it still feels new to be in the prairies, even a year after my arrival), new city, new job, new apartment, and (in two weeks' time), new house.

Today Brasil beat Croatia 3-1.  I watched some of it at work.  Almost nobody cares about soccer here.

Tomorrow is España - Holland.  Vamos la furia roja.

Favourites are Germany and Brazil.  My favourite is Spain.

I like Colombia and Uruguay.  I also like Italia.  Somehow, this time around Argentina doesn't grab me, even though Messi - the best player in the world - is on the team.

As long as Holland doesn't win I'm happy.

No comments: