Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Acapulco: Tennis Day 2

We had breakfast across the street from our hotel (which is more or less a dive), at around 10 in the morning.  Afterwards, I parked myself at the pool for a few hours, while Ruth and Marty watched Champions League on tv.

As I do whenever I travel, I'm reading a book authored by a local writer.  Gabriel García Marquez isn't Mexican, but he does live here, so I began reading his Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada a day after arriving here.  It's superb.  Marquez's description of characters is deep and penetrating, reminding me somewhat of the classical Russian writers.  While poolside, I enjoyed taking turns between dipping in the pool and reading.
 
Then, at 4pm, came the plato fuerte of the day: tennis.  Unlike yesterday, when a lot of qualifiers were still playing matches to enter the main draw of the tournament, today's line-up was robust: the tournament definitely got on the way.  We saw:

Vasek Pospisil - Alexandr Dolgopolov (2/6, 2/6)
Eugenie Bouchard - Peer Shahar (6/2, 6/2)
David Ferrer - Mikhail Kukushin (6/2, 6/3) and
Andy Murray - Pablo Andujar (3/6, 6/1, 6/2).

Phenomenal.  Absolutely awe-inspiring what these athletes do.

Below are some pictures taken during the games.

Cancha central: David Ferrer - Mikhail Kukushin.


Genie Bouchard


Today was Genie's 25th birthday, so after her match she was presented with a birthday cake, and the entire stadium sang happy birthday to her.  Nice touch.


Genie played very well, although towards the end of her match she asked to see a physiotherapist.  She finished the game, but seemed uncomfortable.  I wonder if she's got a lingering injury. She won her match tonight and is through to the second round.

I love the energy with which she plays.  She hits every ball with all she's got, like it's a life or death scenario.  It's inspiring.  She's athletic, has an excellent forehand, a good backhand, and she plays well up at the net.  Her first serve is very good, but her second serve is weak.  I also wonder whether she struggles with consistency.  But hey, she's 20 years old, and learning.  Plus, who am I; I can't hit two forehands in a row without hitting the net or the fence at the back of the park.....

I'm a proud member of the Genie Army.

One aspect that's been interesting to witness here at the tournament is the human dimension.  On tv, the viewer never sees what happens in between games, when players sit down and rest.  Over the past 2 days, I've been surprised to see how often they need medical attention.  It happens often, almost every match.  I've seen players lay down and get their back worked on, others have their feet (blisters?) or ankles wrapped, while others struggle with dehydration or get overheated.  The physical rigour the players go through to perform at this level must be enormous.

Moving on.

The last game ended after 11, but Ruth, Marty and I were still in a mood to hang out a bit longer, so we went to one of the outdoor bars and treated ourselves to a rum and coke.

The evening was perfect.  Wonderful company.  Wonderful entertainment.  A fresh breeze, with the sound of the ocean in the background.  I could get used to this...




Like yesterday, we walked home, arriving back at the hotel after 2am.  Tomorrow we repeat this routine one last time: sleep in, sun, and tennis.

No comments: