Friday, June 28, 2013

Soccer And Food Feasts

After a great evening playing some of my favourite board games, I spent the night at Ruth and Marty's place.  It was strange, sleeping as a guest in the living room of my old place.  A very strange feeling...

We got up around 9am, and almost immediately prepared for a soccer feast to come on tv: Spain vs. Italy, the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup in Brasil.

While watching the game, however, Marty put on a feast of a different kind: food!  Fruits and yogurt, toasted veggie bagels, coffee, and juice.  Marty is so gifted.  A philosopher, a photographer, a writer, in the process of becoming a self-taught wood craftsman, and a cook extraordinaire.  On top of that, a loyal, kind-hearted friend.  May God bless his soul!

Spain won the game, in penalty shots, 7-6, after a 0-0 draw in regular and added extra time.  It looks like the final of the Cup will be Spain against Brasil.  I hope Spain wins.  This may ruffle some feathers with friends or family who cheer for Brasil, but I find it hard to cheer against a team that plays such poetic fútbol as does España.  Add to this the arrogance of the South Americans, I choose Spain, hands down.  And, how ironic is this: to speak of Spain - not Brasil - playing beautiful fútbol!

The rest of the day was busy, too busy.

I went to Commercial Drive and bought a few slabs of focaccia bread.  Once my garden vegetables in Moose Jaw are harvested, I'm going to eat some mighty fine sandwiches!

Visiting the Drive brought back some very good memories: Abruzzo, Santa Barbara, Don's Market, Grandview, Marcello's, Joe's, all of these places bring memories of a good place back to me.

In the evening I went home to Abbotsford for dinner.  Family is so important.  And my family, in particular, holds such an important place in my life.  As I mentioned not too long ago, it's my family who's been most supportive the past 6 months.  

As good as my friends are - see yesterday's post on how much they mean to me - family is irreplaceable.  Some of my closest friends, and one in particular, has been furthest away from me in terms of support.  She has, for all intents and purposes, abandoned me.  That's how I feel, at least.


No comments: