Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nicolle Flats Hike

Two weeks ago I went hiking for the first time with a recently formed local hiking group.  Today we went hiking again, and this time, to the Nicolle Flats a short 30-minute drive northwest of Moose Jaw.

My experience today was thoroughly enjoyable.  Great people.  Good weather.  A pleasant and challenging walk.  We hiked nearly 16kms, going around the Nicolle marshlands, as well as along some of the coast of neighbouring Buffalo Pound Lake.

Below is a picture of the road to the Flats.  Very interesting clouds: thick dark cotton balls in the background, easy-breezy blanket sheets in the front (I should be a meteorolgist):


We met around 9:30 in the morning, and began hiking shortly afterwards.  There were six of us.  As is often the case, we started off fast, probably covering 12kms in 3 hours, and then slowing down to 4 kms covered in the last 2 hours.  By the end of the day, we were all hot, tired, and at least in my case, dehydrated.  I  didn't prepare properly.  I didn't bring enough water.  Shame on me.

Near the beginning of the hike, we were surrounded by ominously dark clouds.  This meant that there wasn't much sun, and the hiking was quite pleasant.  The skies did open up for about 15 minutes.  I enjoyed walking in the rain.

Having passed the marsh, we walked up a gravel road, along a meadow overlooking the lake, and then down through a mucky wooded area, before stopping for a quick lunch, lakeside.  I had a fruit salad and a focaccia bread sandwich, with provolone cheese and prosciutto.  Mmmmmm.



 

After lunch the sun came out with a vengeance.  Within 15 minutes, I was hot and sweaty.  I think I prefer clouds while hiking.





We finished the hike shortly before 4, and after saying good-bye to everyone I made my way home, westward, while the rest drove east.

I arrived at home exhausted, and after a nice cool shower took it easy for the rest of the evening. 

If I am going to thrive living in this new city, I am going to have to have more experiences such as the one I had today.

Thank you Lord for your faithfulness.

No comments: