Saturday, February 23, 2013

Driving Home

I love my new dashboard!
 







I left Saskatoon early this morning, around 7am, headed for my new home: Moose Jaw.  I arrived here around 10am, just in time to meet the internet/phone guy at my apartment.  By noon my connection was up and running.  Customer service in this country is amazing.

I left Saskatoon at the perfect time - in the dark - and I arrived in Moose Jaw also at the perfect time - broad, sunny daylight.  I hope this is a metaphor applicable to my life also, a movement from dark to light.

While driving, I saw the landscape transform.  First, my dasboard (and of course my headlights!) provided all the light, but then inklings of light appeared in the horizon ahead of me.  The sky all around me changed colours from black to dark blue and then to light blue and white.  And the various shades of blue were accompanied by dark reds, oranges, and yellows.

The prairies have a stark beauty to them.  Solitude.  Serenity.  Simplicity.  Silence.  Open.  Immense.   And yet, they also communicate an equally searching, if not troubling, quality.  Loneliness.  Longing.  Emptiness.  Struggle.  Overwhelming.  If I make these images analogous to my heart, I definitely fit more in the second set of descriptions.  At least now.  Hopefully Joy will find me here.

No comments: