Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy 70th Mom!

One of the criticisms I have of my family is the rigidity and restriction (or conversely, the lack of spontaneity or creativity) with which we live our lives.  The best example of this stiffness is at familial meals, where everyone has a "set" sitting place: the meal is announced, and then either mom or dad directs traffic - "you're sitting beside so-and-so" - until we're all seated.  Incredibly, the slightest deviation from this plan causes stress.  I feel this kind of restraint especially strong when I spend time with my Latin American friends who are more spontaneous and easy-going.

But today's experience of my mom's birthday celebration was refreshingly different.  My aunt (not everyone in our family lacks creativity) organized a surprise birthday party for mom: her 70th.  When I arrived at my uncle and aunts place, the hosts, I found that most of our family and relatives were already there, with the exception of mom and dad.  There was a big, colourful sign strung across the front entrance which read "Rendezvous", the name of mom and dad's favourite restaurant.  

The plan was simple: everyone except mom and dad arrive early and await their arrival.  Dad, in turn, would tell mom that they were going to the Rendezvous, but on the way they would pick up my uncle and aunt.  Once at their home, mom was to go and ring the doorbell and of course, once the door opened, all of us would come out, cheering her on, hugging her, kissing her, and singing happy birthday.

The plan went off without a hitch, and mom was so surprised she was literally speechless.  Full of joy: "surprised by joy", you might say.  Somehow, the tone of joy pervaded throughout the evening, as we celebrated her with food, song, and a 45 minute video/slide show presentation my dad had prepared.  I think mom thoroughly enjoyed the evening.  She felt loved.

Maybe we're not as rigid as I thought we were.

Happy birthday mom!  I love you very much!

No comments: