Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stay In Your Cell

I got my new Mac laptop today. The 2nd in 2 weeks. I hope this one makes it past week 1.

I'm realizing that I have a horrible addiction to the internet. It's a sad situation, really, and not having access to the internet for the better part of the last 6 weeks has taught me to live with myself. As one of the famous desert fathers said once, "Stay in your cell. Your cell will teach you everything." So that's what I've been doing.

The past few weeks I've been out of reach for most people: no internet, no email, and no online chatting. I still had my phone(s), but nowadays nobody uses the phone anymore, so I felt like a hermit living in the city. There was a 4-day stint where I only spoke to 1 person per day. It was kinda lonely and boring at first, but then I realized that as Henri Nouwen says, "if you don't have anything to do, you might as well pray", and that's what I did.

Now, a few weeks later, I feel more at peace, with myself, with the world, and with God. Getting on my knees and praying is actually a relief, not a chore. I love doing it. Maybe I should get rid of my laptop.....

No comments: