Monday, April 30, 2007

The Hour Had Come

This morning I preached my second sermon at church. My first sermon was over four months ago, and was a rather painful experience. Today went much better.....

Today's text came from John 13:1-20, where Jesus washes the disciples' feet. In this text, Jesus turns his attention away from the busyness of the streets, and towards his most loyal followers, his disciples. These his followers, where now "his own", whom he loved (13:1).

My main two points were that when Jesus washed the disciples' feet, he displayed his sacrificial love, and his saving power. The act of footwashing is simultaneously a display of the deep self-giving love of Jesus, and a prophetic symbol of the cleansing power he possesses. Indeed, this act foreshadows the cross, where Jesus would give himself up for the sake of the world he created. There, on the cross, Jesus would wash the feet of the world with his own blood.

The sermon went much better than the last one, thanks be to God! A few of my friends came to hear me which I'm very grateful for. Thank you Clau, Carla, Paul, Eric, Karla, and Rachelle. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera so I couldn't take a picture of the group.

Importantly, my parents also came to hear me. Thank you both for your loving support.

I'm also grateful because thanks to my preaching class last semester and my internship at church, preaching is becoming less intimating and more enjoyable. Thanks and praise be to God.

After the service my friends and I went to Paul's Place on Granville and 4th, for breakfast.

No comments: