Monday, February 19, 2007

Sunday School

I've been teaching Sunday School now for the past month. It's been challenging, but good. I admit, I don't consider myself to be very good around kids .. except my nephews and nieces, but somehow that's different. They're family....

I get a little self-conscious and nervous around kids, because they're always so honest: they say what they think. It's a good thing to be honest, of course, but there's an element of fear that someone else's honesty can bring out in me: fear of being exposed and made vulnerable.

What if they don't like the shoes I wear? What if my socks don't match (that's never happened before). What if a piece of lettuce is stuck on my teeth and I'm completely oblivious to it? What if they see I'm nervous? What if my fly's open? What if I accidentally fart? What if they don't like the way I told the story of Joseph? The possibilities of being rejected by the kids are endless....

Of course, if I didn't take myself so serious I'd be ok with someone or other poking fun at me every now and then. Like they say .. you gotta be able to laugh at yourself. That's a skill I haven't attained yet .. but one I'm in desperate need of.

Who knows, maybe this experience of teaching kids (grades 3 and 4) will help me get over myself. That at least, is my prayer.

No comments: