Sunday, October 30, 2016

Final Vows

I spent the weekend at the monastery in Muenster, where I enjoyed the usual hospitality and community I've come to appreciate.  Actually, I made my final vows as a Benedictine Oblate there today.  See here for my initial vows.

It was a meaningful day.  Particularly because in this day and age where we often times look and yearn for community and yet seem unable to find it, I feel blessed that this humble group of monks and oblates welcome me a few times a year, offering a space to stay and reflect, a few meals, the Mass, and opportunities to learn and share valuable life lessons.


As always, we had an educational session on the final day of our gathering, and today I had the opportunity to share my experience of walking the Camino de Santiago in 2012.  It's an experience I will always remember, and certainly love taking about.  

Essentially, I made the following points:

The concept of pilgrimage is common to all people.  We are all on a spiritual journey, and as Christians we believe our spiritual journey is towards God.  As St. Augustine said: "Our hearts are restless until they find you, Lord."

Pilgrimages are a good place for prayer.  In my case, I prayed the Jesus Prayer throughout my journey: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me a sinner."  During the walk, I prayed not only for myself but for friends and family.

Pilgrimages are a good time for discernment.  I was discerning primarily about 2 matters: vocation (work, career), and relationships.  As a result of my discernment process during I moved to Saskatchewan. 

Community is an important aim of the Camino.  Like Spiritual Care practitioners, pilgrims on the road became intimate strangers easily, sharing their struggles and burdens with each other.  The bonds of fraternity seemed more visible, even tangible.

Pilgrimages are opportunities to practise simplicity of living.  Jesus speaks often of "traveling light", as we cannot take our earthly possessions with us when our time on earth is complete.  Walking long distances brings this point home, as the greater the weight we carry, the greater the physical demand and burden.

No comments: