Saturday, July 09, 2016

A Friend ... Sticks Closer Than A Brother

Friendship is a precious thing, a gift from God.  And James (among other people) is just that, a gift.

"He who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty." - Job 6:14

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." - Proverbs 17:17

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." - Proverbs 18:24

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

"No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." - John 15:15

"Peace be to you.  The friends greet you.  Greet the friends, each by name." - I John 1:15



He's been here for the past few days, attending a conference from his denomination.

While here, we've had some good conversations, mostly about theology.  Oh to have friends nearby with whom I could discuss these themes more regularly...

It's been interesting seeing him struggle with the issues of the days being discussed at the conference. He fears for the future of the church.

And yet, we need not fear, we need only to be faithful:

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." - Matthew 16:18

No comments: