Saturday, March 19, 2016

Oblates: Action and Contemplation

It's been almost 6 months since I made my initial oblate vows.  I'm really hoping that as I continue entering the Benedictine world I also find deeper communion with God and community with others.

Yesterday after work I drove to Muenster and stayed overnight at the monastery there.  This morning I went to Mass, followed by lunch, and then a lecture on the "active" and "contemplative" aspects of the spiritual life.

Being too focused on one over the other indicates imbalance.  Work will always lead us to contemplation and prayer, as we realize our need for God and our inability to do the necessary work to bring healing to the world; contemplation will always lead us back to work, as we hear God's prompting of our hearts to "get back out there" and do his work, sharing the whole gospel with a broken world.




Days are getting longer again.  Even so, I got home in the dark, around 6:30.

No comments: