Sunday, March 06, 2016

Last Day

This morning we left Gore Bay and our odd but welcoming hosts at the B&B.

On the way back to Sudbury we stopped by Bridal Veil waterfalls, a place worth seeing.  We took a few pictures there.


We also wanted to take a look inside Immaculate Conception RC Church, a church that has rich native connections, including a teepee-shaped architecture.   But just as we arrived at the church, they were locking the doors.  Mass was done, and everyone was on their way home.

So we drove on.

Upon leaving the island I became quiet and introspective.  Actually, we were both quiet.  I didn't realize it then, like I do now, that the Island we'd been on was a place of not only retreat, peace and quietness - away from our regular routines.  It was more than that.  It represented togetherness, exploration of intimacy in spirit and flesh.  Leaving the island and reentering the mainland was a gigantic metaphor, exiting not only a place of tranquility, but leaving behind physical intimacy  too.  Tomorrow I go back to the prairies...

Thus the silence.

But I have a feeling there is more to the silence then the realization of a return to the geographically "distant" normalcy of our relationship.  I also felt emotionally distant.  The silence was eery, as though leaving the island also implied a more definite distancing of us, emotionally.  

I was entering the depths of loneliness and despair. 

We arrived in Sudbury around 4 in the afternoon, and after a stop by my hotel to take a shower and change clothes, we went by Laurentian University, where she showed me her office.  I am so proud of her.  A teaching professor at the young age of 33.


After seeing her office, we went back to Daniela's place where she showered and got changed.  Then we went out for dinner, the last supper at East Side Mario's.


I cried today.  In front of her.  I'm sad to leave and go back to "being alone."

No comments: