Saturday, January 11, 2014

Snowshoeing @ Echo Valley

It was a perfect day for being outdoors today.  -15, almost no wind, the odd snowflake coming down, gorgeous.

The only thing I wish I'd done different is gone skiing instead of snowshoeing.  Not that I don't like snowshoeing, but earlier this week I picked up my new cross country skis, and I am full of anticipation in trying them out.


We did about 9kms or so, which doesn't sound like much compared to our summer hikes, but the snow was (once again!) - perfect, meaning, light and fluffy.  This meant though, that I sank about 25cms or so into the snow every step that I took, even with snowshoes on.  In other words, it was very hard work today to cover the distance that we did.  Good thing I dressed in layers, because I was sweating profusely...




I invited my good buddy Corby from work today, who in the picture below is second from the left.  Oddly enough, though, while most others are facing the camera for the picture, he seems to be busy texting; yes, texting.  Maybe he didn't get the memo: no texting allowed while snowshoeing!



Towards the end of our excursion, we came across a hut.  It had a fireplace and firewood, which John, well-prepared as always, promptly lit with the box of matches (!) he'd brought along.  Thanks John!


After we finished, Corby and I went out for lunch at East Side Mario's.  Veal parmigiana for me with penne and a rosé sauce.  Garlic tomato soup for starters.  And bread, too, loads of bread, like 4 (small) loaves.

No comments: